Thursday, June 16, 2005

Knitting ADD

Why can't non-knitters understand the concept of WIPs? Last night, I was sitting on the couch, knitting merrily away on my toe-up socks. I was turning the heel, which I find ridiculously fun for some reason (it's like magic!). BF looks over and says "Hey! Aren't you supposed to be knitting socks for me?"

Now, here's some background. BF loves hand-knit socks and has since I made my first pair (which he insisted on trying on his big man-feet). So, I made him a pair of his own in a nice neutral beige color. Then I made a second pair for me in blue. Since I had enough beige and blue left over for another pair of socks, I told BF I'd make him some striped socks in those colors. I cast on, and got to working the foot of the first sock (these are top-down socks, not toe-up). This was about 4 months ago.

Then, I got distracted. I wanted to make my first real garment, so I started a ribbed tank-top for myself. Another distraction came along in the form of Knitty's spring issue. I had to make the ribbon x-back. Luckily, I finished up the pieces of the ribbed tank just as the ribbon yarn for the x-back was arriving. All that was left was seaming, which I hate, and which could of course be put aside until the x-back was completed.

The x-back took a while (or maybe it just seemed that way because of the damn seed stitch). Conveniently enough, just as I was getting bored with x-back, I had to go on a business trip, and a plane is the perfect place to start a new sock project (especially because DPNs impress the non-knitters sitting nearby and convince them it's a bad idea to distract you with inane conversation). I had purchased some lovely self-striping sock yarn for myself, and I was dying to try it out. So, I started the toe-up socks.

When I got home, I put aside the socks to finish up my tanks. I also managed to purchase hemp and cocktail kitties so that I could make my own version of the cocktail monkey bag. I did eventually finish both tanks (well...I still have to weave in the ends of the ribbed one, but it's all seamed up, I promise!).

Fast forward to earlier this week. I decided that I shouldn't start a new project until I had finished at least one more WIP. So, I set to work on the toe-up socks again because they have a fun eyelet pattern on the instep, and are a lot less boring than the striped socks. They're just what I want to work on now. Doesn't BF get that I can't just do one project until it's finished? I need variety in my knitting!

In any case, I guess once I finish this one sock I should at least finish the first sock of his pair. Then maybe he'll let me start the cocktail kitty bag...

ETA: Cocktail kitties, monkeys, mermaids, etc. can be purchased online at Archie McPhee.

1 comment:

Emily Dust Nimsakont said...

Okay, I have to know where you got cocktail kitties. They sound so cute! I could be tempted to make a cocktail kitty bag!